Re: Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Christian Convey wrote:

> Hi guys,

> Recently I've spent a lot of time digging through udev /
> hotplug issues, getting to know modprobe, modules.conf,
> alsaconf, XF86Config-4 etc.  This was all to get a digicam
> and a flashdrive to be useful, or to make sound/video
> work.

Strange.  While I haven't tried hooking my webcam up I have
a number of flashdrives that I use.  No problem, and as I
said below, my sound/video works fine.

> As much as I like Linux and its ideals, I thought to
> myself, "I've never had to deal with issues like these in
> Windows.

I have.  I have a brand new system that I was totally unable
to install Windows on, but had no trouble at all installing
linux.  Even sound and video works, the only thing I'm
having any problem with is understanding the zen of tv
tuners/video capture cards under linux.

> I buy a product, plug it in, and almost always, it just
> works."

Some people are just so blinking lucky.  I have rarely had
that kind of luck.

> I'd really like to advocate Linux more to friends and
> family, but I just don't feel like I can recommend the OS
> to non-techies until dealing with hardware gets easier.

Never thought of myself as a techie, but alright.

[snipped, because the only answer to this paragraph I have
would end up an anti-M$ rant.  Unnecessary here.]

	sjs

--
May the Lords of Luck and Chance be always at your
side, and may your hand always be a winner.

** Find me a spaceship I can USE, and I'm OFF this  **
** dirtball!!                                       **
** You can have Freedom or Peace,                   **
**  Don't EVER count on having both.                **