Re: FAT32 (was: dual-OS system)

Sorry for re-awakening this fairly dead thread, but...

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:30:25 +0200, David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> There are, as posted, other alternatives as well. Ext3 is simplest, I think.
> Linux can mount NTFS read-only but has full FAT32 support.

Is that the case with a default Sarge installation? I did one only
very recently and, ever since, the Debian system refuses to mount the
Windows FAT32 partition, although it does recognise it.

I haven't had this problem before (mainly as I never had a windows
partition before) and am sure that it can be rectified with a modprobe
command. My two questions are:

o Which module needs to be loaded? I have loaded msdos and vfat, but
the system still says that the fat32 is not supported by the kernel.

o Why were the dos/win filesystem supports removed from Sarge's
kernels? As many first time users would want to keep their Windows
stuff accessible, this would appear to me to be a red-line issue for
many fresh adopters of Debian.

Even modularised, the fact is that it remains a command-line
post-configuration step for someone who may not have the experience
required to do it and, consequently, will become disillusioned.

Any responses/assistance on these would be gratefully received,
particularly the first.

Regards,

Daniel.
--