Re: FAT32 (was: dual-OS system)

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 01:22:29PM +0000, Daniel Goldsmith wrote:
> the Debian system refuses to mount the Windows FAT32 partition, although it
> does recognise it.

you need to load the "vfat" module:

  modprobe vfat

I was a bit annoyed with Ubuntu, I would expect them to load the "vfat" module
by default so people can use windows floppies - but no! they don't.

> o Which module needs to be loaded? I have loaded msdos and vfat, but
> the system still says that the fat32 is not supported by the kernel.

That's weird.  you don't need msdos, just vfat

> o Why were the dos/win filesystem supports removed from Sarge's
> kernels? As many first time users would want to keep their Windows
> stuff accessible, this would appear to me to be a red-line issue for
> many fresh adopters of Debian.

Surely it hasn't been???  If you can "modprobe vfat" and it loads, then your
kernel has fat32 support.  I don't know why it wouldn't work if you've got the
module loaded.