ide-scsi emulation and modules configuration at

Here is a good question. I am trying to get generic Sarge 2.4.26 system
to recognise and configure IDE CD-writer and CD-reader at a startup
using ide-scsi emulation as described in
file:///usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup

/boot/grub/menu.lst

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.26-1-686
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.4.26-1-686 root=/dev/sda5 ro hda=ide-scsi
hdc=ide-scsi

???????????
What is for
max_scsi_luns=1"

System has internal SCSI drive and 2 IDE cdroms. What should be a
max_scsi_luns?

initrd          /initrd.img-2.4.26-1-686
savedefault
boot

Lsmod shows that after reboot both cdrom and ide-cd modules are running
I can mount CDROMS to /dev/hdx. I have /dev/scdX setup properly.
Mounting of /dev/scdX fails, "dmesg shows that ise-scsi emulation does
not work.

The only way I can make ide-scsi emulation to work is to disable and
enable modules by running a script as follows:

# To activate scsi emulation ( enable CDWR support execute as # user
root). You need to do after a reboot. Login as root copy and paste into
a terminal window and press Enter.

# write to a tmp file
cat > /tmp/tmp_enable_scsi << EOF
rmmod ide-cd
rmmod cdrom
rmmod ide-scsi
rmmod sg
insmod sg
insmod ide-scsi
insmod cdrom
insmod sr_mod
EOF
# source the tmp files so all commands get executed
source /tmp/tmp_enable_scsi
#
# remove tmp file
/bin/rm /tmp/tmp_enable_scsi
#
# check that both cd and cdrw are emulated as scsi
cdrecord -scanbus

Ide-scsi is configured and I can write cd.

Q. Why ide-cd and cdrom modules start on reboot? How do I make it to
work in debian way "just works". I figured out which modules to disable
and to enable and I am happy to run my script script, but my users find
it difficult. I will eventually migrate to 2.6 but I cannot do it now.

Could this be because I have discover1 installed or something similar
that tries to reconfigure my kernel modules?

Any suggestions?