Re: FAT32 (was: dual-OS system)

Daniel Goldsmith wrote:
o Which module needs to be loaded? I have loaded msdos and vfat, but
the system still says that the fat32 is not supported by the kernel.

FAT32 is called vfat all though Linux world.

mount -t vfat /dev/hdb1 /mnt/windows

o Why were the dos/win filesystem supports removed from Sarge's
kernels?

They aren't, as far as I know. Being a module doesn't prevent the kernel accessing them; AFAIK the modules will be loaded automatically when mount attempts to mount a vfat partition.

Even modularised, the fact is that it remains a command-line
post-configuration step for someone who may not have the experience
required to do it and, consequently, will become disillusioned.

That would be a case of not autodetecting the existing windows partitions and setting up /etc/fstab for them - not a lack of kernel support.

I've no idea if Sarge tries to do that at all; I haven't had Windows installed on any of my PCs for a couple of years.

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>