Re: visual c++ equivalent

Apparently, _Mason Loring Bliss_, on 15/12/04 14:30,typed:
On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 05:13:28PM -0500, H. S. wrote:

However, I believe that the GUI that MS has given to the masses has played a very beneficial role in the GUI development in Unix/Linux world.

To credit Microsoft with this is unfortunate and incorrect.

Credit Apple with bringing the GUI to the desktop. They released the Lisa
in 1983, and then the Macintosh 128K in 1984, which was immediately popular.
Microsoft release Windows 1.0 near the end of 1985. Windows did not become
popular until version 3.1, which was released in October of *1992*.

That is true. And, yes, I do know about Apple and Xerox introducing the GUI concept before MS ever started using it. But I was stressing towards the point that MS made the GUI ubiquitous. Apples never became household computers in the 90's, MS based did. The ubiquitousness plus the ease of use made many new users realized that the computer world need not be limited to the CLI. True, somebody else invented the GUI stuff, but it is MS which made is so popular. GUI, click and work, auto detection of hardware, all these factors are which are so pushing these things in the Linux and Unix world (not that lessens the power of CLI or that it should be made obsolete mind you).

I never said MS "invented" the GUI, only that it made it so widely available (by hook or by crook).

->HS