Problems upgrading sendmail (testing)

Dear readers,

I think that I were not too smart when upgrading the "held back" package
sendmail for Debian testing. I got the following troubles:

1) The installation program tries to build databases e.g. /etc/mail/access.db.
   For some reasons it tries to create a file access.new.db with
   makemap, then to change ownership and permissions, and subsequently
   move the file to access.db. Unfortunately, makemap was not able to
   create access.new.db, although it had the right permissions to do
   so. The only way to have makemap create access.new.db was to
   manually place a file with that name and give it permissions
   666, causing it to be overwritten by makemap.

2) Sendmail was not able to write in some directories in which it
   should be able to write. In any case, it was not able to write
   a PID file in /var/run/sendmail/mta before I changed the ownership
   of this directory to root, and it was not able to write files to
   /var/spool/mqueue until I changed its ownership from smmta to root.

Should I file this as bug or is it just me being stupid?

Thanks,

Paul Huygen

-