Re: Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows

Steven Jones wrote:
lol.....

Sorry win2k/XP cannot find any disks....press f3 to exit and reboot....

Sorry your hardware is not supported by win2k/win2k3.

This product is obsolete we will not be releasing drivers for win2k win2k3, buy a new controller for just $999.....

The updated Certified Microsoft driver you just installed has just fried your raid5 array....

;]

But I'm not trying to ask, "Which model offers better long-term support for hardware" or "which model has better-written drivers".

My question is more focused: On modern hardware, if I plug in a usb-mouse, flashdrive, scanner, etc. for which Linux and Windows XP both have drivers, then typically my Windows experience is easier.

By "easier" I mean, for instance:

- All digital photo apps are able to see a camera.

- A newly plugged-in flashdrive is easy to find: I just look at the list
  of drives. If I'm not sure which drive is the new one, I can look at
  the volume name.  Worst case, I can pull up Hardware Manager and see
  which drive letter is assigned to each storage device.

This hasn't been my experience with Sarge/2.6.9/udev/kde3.3 (see original post).
--
Christian Convey
Computer Scientist,