Re: Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:11:52 -0500
Christian Convey <conveycj@npt.nuwc.navy.mil> wrote:

> Steven Jones wrote:
> > lol.....
> >
> > Sorry win2k/XP cannot find any disks....press f3 to exit and
> > reboot....
> >
> > Sorry your hardware is not supported by win2k/win2k3.
> >
> > This product is obsolete we will not be releasing drivers for win2k
> > win2k3, buy a new controller for just $999.....
> >
> > The updated Certified Microsoft driver you just installed has just
> > fried your raid5 array....
> >
> > ;]
>
> But I'm not trying to ask, "Which model offers better long-term
> support for hardware" or "which model has better-written drivers".
>
> My question is more focused: On modern hardware, if I plug in a
> usb-mouse, flashdrive, scanner, etc. for which Linux and Windows XP
> both have drivers, then typically my Windows experience is easier.

It may not be what you're asking, but it is part of your answer. If
Windows had to write all the drivers - no manufacturer wrote Windows
drivers for their devices, had to support as much hardware (not just old
stuff, but also PowerPC - both Mac and IBM, Sparc, etc.) and obsolete
hardware, do you really think they would have as many bells and whistles
and eye-candy as they do?

I think the question answers itself when they have to stop adding
features just so they can work on bugs and security holes. And they did
make that announcement not all that long ago.

Jacob