Re: Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 13:11 -0500, Christian Convey wrote:
> Steven Jones wrote:
> > lol.....
> >
> > Sorry win2k/XP cannot find any disks....press f3 to exit and reboot....
> >
> > Sorry your hardware is not supported by win2k/win2k3.
> >
> > This product is obsolete we will not be releasing drivers for win2k win2k3, buy a new controller for just $999.....
> >
> > The updated Certified Microsoft driver you just installed has just fried your raid5 array....
> >
> > ;]
>
> But I'm not trying to ask, "Which model offers better long-term support
> for hardware" or "which model has better-written drivers".
>
> My question is more focused: On modern hardware, if I plug in a
> usb-mouse, flashdrive, scanner, etc. for which Linux and Windows XP both
> have drivers, then typically my Windows experience is easier.
>
> By "easier" I mean, for instance:
>
> - All digital photo apps are able to see a camera.
>
> - A newly plugged-in flashdrive is easy to find: I just look at the list
>    of drives. If I'm not sure which drive is the new one, I can look at
>    the volume name.  Worst case, I can pull up Hardware Manager and see
>    which drive letter is assigned to each storage device.
>

> This hasn't been my experience with Sarge/2.6.9/udev/kde3.3 (see
> original post).

Windows is not the same as Linux.  They do not do the same things.
Their paradigms are *different*.

A compare-and-contrast example:

My Uncle has been struggling with Windows for *years*.  Starting
with 95, then 98, 98SE & now XPhome.  Even when it sees some
hardware the first time, sometimes it stops working, or gets
crotchety, after a while.  Fundamental stuff like DVD burners.

OTOH, it can take me a little while to configure certain things
with Debian.  "man foo" plus Google plus "su -" plus "tail
-f /var/log/syslog" are crucial.  But, once something works, it
stays working.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Peace, in international affairs, is a period of cheating between
two periods of fighting."
Ambrose Bierce