Fw: Fw: Fw:Mewbie Having Much Trouble Getting Deb 2.4.18-bf2.4 To Work

Well. finally achieved partial success.  Modem, ppp,wvdial and gnome GUI now
working without error messages except Mozilla mail client still gets mail
from the wrong account.  Contacted Mozilla tech support on this but they
haven't responded yet. However, the only success so far was to totally
reinstall 2.4.18-bf2.4, reiniaializing all linux partitions, and then only
the taskselect finished.  Dselect didn't run.  The reinstall failed
everyltime I used my backup CD' so I turned to the originals to reinstall
and it still didn't complete dselect as on the original installation.
"Apt-get update" is working now.  Apt-cache search Keyword has many error
messages for the cd's so I commented out the cd source to clean things up a
bit, but "apt-get -s PackageName" gives an error message something like file
name not correct format even though I typed it exactly from the cache list.
I want to keep this thread open a little while longer as I see way too many
install error messages although bootup error messages are now mininal.  I
now want to update/upgrade the kernel as some in the group suggested.
Apt-get update was run with stable and didn't show anything new.  I think
I'm looking for a kernel-image and not source-files as I hope not to
compile.  I've read the postings intently, especially newbie install issues,
and the complexity is baffling and bewildering.  Do I download the new
Debian installer to upgrade which I may have to learn how to use.  What
version to use, Sarge I think was mentioned?  How can I make this process as
easy and foolproof as possible?  Most of the answers have been posted but I
had to do some deletions to cope.  Please readvise.
Leonard Chatagnier