Re: dist-upgrade broke srage

I was finally able to get lilo working again, but
kernel panics (image 2.6.8-1-k7)

VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or
unknown-block(3,1)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(3,1)

I have no idea what this means, but this is as
close as I've come to getting this resolved.

in my lilo.conf, I have
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda1

What I did was this:

Booting to knoppix cd, I was able to mount all of
my partitions, then I did chroot to my hda1
partition. doing this was able to do apt-get
install --reinstall kernel-image-2.6.8-1-k7 (I
still have the .deb in my apt cache) and it did
go thru the install and it asked me all kinds of
lilo questions. It created a new lilo.conf which
looks drammitacally different (it only hase one
image= defined) but for some reason I still get
my old lilo boot menu as if it were getting it
from somewhere else!

Being fed up with this, I did apt-get remove lilo
and did apt-get install grub

when that was done I did grub-install /dev/hda.
I rebooted and I got the grub prompt:
grub>

so I did
grub> kernel /vmlinuz
(vmlinuz is symlink to kernel-2.6.7-1-k7)

grub> initrd /initrd.img

grub> root
(grub uses (hd0,0)  )

grub> boot

the kernel begins to boot and it gets to a new
and completely different kernel panic:

pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 426: connot open dev/console: No such
file
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

This really should not be this difficult. Either
lilo or grub should be working. The kernel should
work. What am I missing?

Jim