Re: Fw: Fw: Fw:Mewbie Having Much Trouble Getting Deb 2.4.18-bf2.4 To Work

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

Well. finally achieved partial success.  Modem, ppp,wvdial and gnome GUI now
working without error messages except Mozilla mail client still gets mail
from the wrong account.

Somewhere in the Moz menus will be an "Account Options" or similar item (on Thunderbird, it's "Tools" / "Account Settings"). Delete the wrong account; create the correct account.

 However, the only success so far was to totally
reinstall 2.4.18-bf2.4, reiniaializing all linux partitions, and then only
the taskselect finished.  Dselect didn't run.  The reinstall failed
everyltime I used my backup CD' so I turned to the originals to reinstall
and it still didn't complete dselect as on the original installation.
IIRC, you're asked if you want to run dselect. I assume you're answering "Yes". And then dselect is failing to run? In that case, I'm beginning to think you have bad/damaged CDs.

"Apt-get update" is working now.  Apt-cache search Keyword has many error
messages for the cd's so I commented out the cd source to clean things up a
bit, but "apt-get -s PackageName" gives an error message something like file
name not correct format even though I typed it exactly from the cache list.

I've never used the "simulate" feature of apt-get, so I can't address what might be the issue here.

I want to keep this thread open a little while longer as I see way too many
install error messages although bootup error messages are now mininal.  I
now want to update/upgrade the kernel as some in the group suggested.
Apt-get update was run with stable and didn't show anything new.

Because you're pulling from CDs, and your system already knows what's on the CDs. In order to inform your system of newer stuff, like newer kernels, you'll have to point your system to a different source for packages. This is done in "/etc/apt/sources.list", and requires you to have another source available. The most common source for most people is a network connection to the Debian mirrors. This network connection can be broadband (good and fast), such as DSL or Cable Modem, or dial-up (slow and will take 2 all-nighters to upgrade your entire system, say, to Sid, if you were to so choose, if the packages on the mirror don't get updated before your system does, in which case, add another all-nighter).

 I think
I'm looking for a kernel-image and not source-files as I hope not to
compile.

"apt-cache search kernel-image" will show you what kernel images are available on the CDs; if there's nothing newer than what you already have, you'll have to add a different source for Debian packages, as mentioned above.

Do I download the new
Debian installer to upgrade which I may have to learn how to use.

Only if you want to start with a fresh (re)install. Doing so will get you to a Testing (Sarge) system, instead of a Woody system. However, you can get to Sarge without doing a reinstall; you'll have to modify your "/etc/apt/sources.list" file to point to a new source of packages, then "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get dist-upgrade". As mentioned above, this will take hours on a dial-up connection, but it can work.

 What
version to use, Sarge I think was mentioned?

Woody (the current Stable) is ancient. Sarge (the current Testing) is almost the new Stable. Sid (always Unstable) is my preferred version for desktop workstations, as it provides the newest versions of stuff; it also promises to muck with your working system more often than does Stable/Testing.

 How can I make this process as
easy and foolproof as possible?

In my experience, the only real solution is experience. Sorry.

--
Kent