cannot ssh into my own machine

Running debian sid.

Let's say my machine's external IP is 69.212.23.215 and internel IP is
192.168.0.101. I am connected to the internet through DI-514 router. I
do port forwarding to get ssh functionality.

>From this machine (192.168.0.101), I can do
ssh 192.168.0.101 -l username

I cannot do
ssh 69.212.23.215 -l username

But from outside world, I can do
ssh 69.212.23.215 -l username

Why am I not able to ssh into my own machine using the external IP
address? Is this a limitation of Debian or the defect in the router or
a configuration hiccup?

I checked in google for a while and could not find anything. The
problem seems so strange. I would appreciate if you can help me out.

thanks for any suggestions
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi