Re: Fw: Fw:Mewbie Having Much Trouble Getting Deb 2.4.18-bf2.4 To Work

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

However, I have compiled modem drivers
and the modem was working dialup as I have already visited linmodems.org.

Okay; so you have a working modem. Excellent.

What happened when the guy at linmodems.org suggersted using the network
card is that I downloaded via dselect all the optional networking files from
my 7 cd pak Debian v.3.or2.  When I did this everything started
malfunctioning; ie, lost host name, email malfunction, etc.

My guess is that the installation of these files ran into a glitch that wasn't noticed, which broke your networking. (I'm guessing this because installing network files will not cause the host name to get lost, unless something went wrong.)

 I lost dialup
capabilities when I uninstalled the optional networking files.  I know I
have to reinstall, but can someone tell me which ones.

"apt-get install ppp pppconfig" will _probably_ get you working again. This is making a lot of assumptions on my end about the state of your system. I would probably do an "apt-get update" first.

--
Kent