Re: Full replacement of MS

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 22:21 -0500, Christian Convey wrote:
--snip--
> The only other things I really care about working under Linux are:
> - Quicken, which sufficiently well under Wine that I have no complaints, and

There are a few different alternatives in Linux. Personally, I use
gnucash and I love it, but if you're not familiar with double-entry
accounting it can be hard to get used to. (Though if you're actually
serious about tracking your finances you REALLY should learn
double-entry anyway.)

> - Syncing with my digital camera, which most people are successful at
> under Linux with Linux's own digital camera apps. (I'm having trouble in
> Debian, but it worked well under Fedora IIRC)

This shouldn't be a problem unless you have a camera which uses some
sort of proprietary communication protocol. Most cameras nowadays will
just show up as a regular removable SCSI device.

> - Syncing with my Neuros digital audio player. It's got a native Linux
> app called Positron which isn't nearly as good as Neuros' Windows app,
> but apparently it can get the job done.

Have you tried NDBM? (neurosdbm.sf.net) It's a Java sync manager that
even a lot of Windows users prefer over NSM. I'm a developer on it and I
strictly use Debian so I can assure you it works and will keep
working. :)

There's also Sorune (www.sorune.tk), a Perl-based manager using Tk. I've
never used it but it has made a few waves in the Neuros community.

I looked at Positron a few times, but it really hasn't been maintained
all that well as time has gone by. And it's CLI-only which can make it a
bit of a hassle at times.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837