Re: Full replacement of MS

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 20:14 -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
[snip]
> These days there is almost little technical reason to wonder if Linux
> can function on the desktop.  With the availability of some finely
> crafted live CDs (many based on Debian), trying the Linux desktop is a
> snap.  Gone are the days of compacting the DOS drive, partitioning,
> formatting and installing just to test Linux to see what it's about.

Unfortunately, many specialized apps (voice recognition and child-
rens popular edutainment games come immediately to mind) don't
have adequate (or *any*) native corollaries.

Broderbund-type home software (Calendar Creator, Greeting Card
Creator) also come quickly to mind.

And, if your data is in a proprietary format, and that specialized
app won't run under Wine or CO Office, you're also SOL.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown