Re: Full replacement of MS

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:48:33 -0800
From: Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>

[SNIP SNIP]
> I just got fed up, wiped my system and threw away my copy of Win95 in
> 1997.  Your mileage may vary, but I strongly recommend total immersion

Like Paul, I was converted to Linux by Win95's recalcitrance.  I
switched overnight, in fall 1999.

After that I rebooted Windows exactly once: to rule out a mechanical
problem with my printer.

A few months of using only Linux gave me the confidence to wipe all
trace of MS from my disks.  I've never missed the mess.

Maybe I should back up & give a little background:  In late '97 I
designed a new box (with help from people on linux-list@ssc.com), &
hired an expert to put it together & install Win95 & Red Hat.  But
my work as a free-lance editor left me little time to explore Linux,
& before the sudden changeover I had learned almost nothing not in 2
little books -- _Learning the UNIX Operating System_ & _Learning the
vi Editor_ (O'Reilly both).

If I could do it, you can do it.  Whoever you are.

Wendell Cochran
West Seattle