Re: Cannot connect to network now...

"Kent West" <westk@acu.edu> wrote in message
news:33wJm-633-5@gated-at.bofh.it...
> Brian Coiley wrote:
>
> >modconf also appears to be broken.  When it says "Please select the
category
> >of modules", there is no list of categories.  The only option reads "Exit
> >Finished.  Return to previous menu."  Which takes me right back out to
the
> >command prompt.  There's also an OK button, and a Cancel button, both of
> >which also simply quit.  And that's it.
> >

> >[Discover] said, among other things, "Skipping module sis900.  It's
> >already loaded."  As noted in an earlier post, the problem appears to be
> >unrelated to the NIC, and entirely to do with obtaining a DHCP lease.
USB
> >mouse still doesn't work.
> >

> >Unfortunately, unless it gets one hell of a sight easier very fast,
> >tomorrow's operating system is going to remain the preserve of a few very
> >determined digit heads.  I have 20 years' software development experience
> >and a degree in mathematics, and if I'm having all this trouble, how the
> >hell is the average Windows user supposed to manage?
> >

> This sounds more and more like the dist-upgrade did not complete
> properly. You might want to post the contents of your
> "/etc/apt/sources.list" file for us to peruse (although that might be
> hard right now without networking, although you could use a USB
> Flashdrive, or CD, or floppy, or even an image from your digicam).
>
> You might want to re-run "apt-get dist-upgrade" and watch for any
> errors. Take care of the errors and repeat until you get no more errors.

I think you are right.  I did an apt-get install modconf, and it started
working again, so that's another example of something that seems to have got
left behind.  The upgrade took a couple of hours, so I didn't watch it the
whole time: quite possible that I missed errors.

Once modconf was working again, I installed everything that looked like it
could have anything to do with USB rodents, and my mouse started working.
Hurrah!  The only remaining problem with X at the moment is that, every time
I run it, it comes up with a message saying "Can't find file pc/uk for
symbols include".  Now, I read in an archived thread that this is because it
should actually be "gb", not "uk", but I don't seem to be able to change it.
I've tried using dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 to change the layout to
"gb", and I've also examined the configuration file "by hand" to make sure
that it now says  Option  "Xkblayout" gb.  But, it completely ignores my
changes and still comes up with this pesky message about pc/uk.

Oh, BTW, in the meantime dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 had stopped
working: it was giving the message "Discover : bus not found".  So, I
removed the "Discover" package, and it started working again!  Does nothing
work properly in this environment?

Anyway, I'm going to try running the upgrade again.  But, not now: it's 1:00
a.m., and I'm going to bed!  You may not have seen my earlier message where
I said that I can get a DHCP lease if I run the dhclient-2.2.x command
manually, so I do have a way of getting to the network/internet, even if
it's a bit clunky, so hopefully it should only take a few minutes for the
install to pick up anything that may have bombed out first time around.

> >Kent West wrote:
> >
> >>Until the viruses hit,
> >>

> >Never had one, just need to be sensible.  Good virus checkers are free
these
> >days.
> >

> Perhaps I should have said "malware" instead of viruses.
>
> >>and the license fees,
> >>

> >My lost earning time on this stuff already amounts to more than twice the
> >cost of a Windoze licence.
> >

> Until the BSA comes knocking and you realize you've paid for the
> license, but didn't adequately track it. Granted, in a single-user
> environment, that's probably not a big deal, but with 10,000 machines,
> that can get scary.

Anyone who attempts to license 10,000 machines individually instead of doing
a corporate deal with the big "M" is just asking for trouble!

> >>and the
> >>inflexibility,
> >>

> >???????
> >

> Like trying to move "Program Files" onto its own read-only partition in
> a school lab environment. Or recoding the source to fit your needs
> rather than what Microsoft deems as your needs. Or completely
> uninstalling Internet Explorer. (Yes, there are work-arounds, but I find
> Linux to be much easier to tailor to my way of doing things than is
> Windows.)

To be honest, it has never crossed my mind to attempt any of those things!

> I'm not trying to say Debian is a better OS than is Windows, just that
> it is for me.

Fair enough.  But I'm sure you can understand why I'm developing a pretty
jaundiced view of the thing right now!  Anyway, thanks a million for hanging
in there: check back tomorrow and I'll let you know how the re-run of the
Sarge install went!  Good night,

Brian