Re: Cannot connect to network now...

--- Brian Coiley <bcap@clara.co.uk> wrote:

> "Sergio Basurto Juarez" <sbasurtoj@yahoo.com> wrote
> in message
> >
> > --- Brian Coiley <bcap@clara.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > Here is the story so far:
> > >
> > > 1.    Installed Woody dual-boot on my W2K box
> > > 2.    Couldn't get Nvidia card to work
> > > 3.    On the advice of this NG, upgraded to
> Sarge
> > > 4.    Tried to install a 2.4 kernel.  Need to
> change
> > > LILO config, but I'm
> > > not using LILO, I'm using NTLDR...
> > > 5.    Figured out how to change from using NTLDR
> > > LILO, and tried again to
> > > install the 2.4 kernel.
> > > 6.    2.4 kernel would not boot (interrupt
> failures
> > > on hard drive)
> > > 7.    So, installed a 2.6 kernel.
> > > 8.    Still can't get Nvidia card to work with
> nv
> > > driver.
> > > 9.    After much fiddling around with
> configuration,
> > > managed to get startx
> > > to do something using VESA, but just shows a
> grey
> > > screen with a black cross
> > > in the middle, and entire system is locked up.
> > > 10.  Hit the big power button and booted again.
> > > Result...
> > >
> > > Linux is now completely unable to see my
> network.
> > > Fails to get an IP
> > > address from the DHCP server, doesn't work, nix,
> > > nothing!  This is NOT a
> > > hardware problem: it works fine if I boot to
> > > Windoze.  And it was working
> > > fine for 2 days, up to an hour ago.
> > >
> > > I have not got the foggiest idea how to begin
> > > diagnosing this latest
> > > problem.  Something has clearly gone wrong with
> the
> > > NIC/driver setup in
> > > Sarge, but I don't know where to begin.
> > >
> > > Please help!  Windoze is beginning to look like
> > > considerably better value
> > > than the £3 I paid for the Debian CD's, which
> will
> > > shortly become a set of
> > > nice shiny coasters!
> >
> > Explanation:
> > The problem starts because you install a kernel
> that
> > does not have the correct drivers for your
> ethernet
> > card(s), so since you do not have the driver your
> > ethernet card(s) can not connect.
> >

> > Which method of installation are you using? I
> think
> > set of cd's but how you upgrade to sarge!!?
> >

> Set of CD's to install Woody.  Used #apt-get
> dist-upgrade to upgrade to
> Sarge.
>
> > Let's test if you get this working with this
> commands:
> > #ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.28 netmask 255.255.255.0
> up
> > after this type:
> > #ifconfig
> > and post what it displays.
>
> It's kind of difficult to post it all: the offending
> [...]
You still not having connection to the network, isn't
it?

Ok. I understand, that you can post the entire out
now, was dumb of my self to asking!!.

What we were looking for with the commands that I post
was if the module was loaded by the kernel.And if it
was loaded if you have the correct routing tables and
your default gateway.

The module is loaded by the kernel, the next step then
is that you can test an static ip before go any
further.
then the conmmand ifconfig is to set an static ip
address.
#ifconfig eth0 [a valid ip address] netmask [a valid
netmask] up
the ip and netmask should be valid within your network
the ping a client within your network, if it works the
again you can be sure that the problem is with the
dhcp.

If it works the you can be sure that the dhcp-client
is not working correctly.

Regards.

=====
--
Sergio Basurto J.

If I have seen further it is by standing on the
shoulders of giants. (Isaac Newton)