Re: Loading Kernel Modules

Hello

Paul Tsai (<paul@thirdaspect.net>) wrote:

> I'm compiling a custom kernel 2.6.6 on my Toshiba laptop.  One of the
> things I've noticed is that it keeps loading the intel_agp and the
> agpart modules.  Now in the kernel, I specified to not compile agpart
> module. however it loads.

To me, that looks like you forgot to move the old module directory out
of the way when you installed the kernel (set a different EXTRAVERSION,
use kernel-package).

> Only thing is I don't want it to load cause
> I want to use nvidia's agp modules.  (I simply renamed the modules so
> they can't load but the errors on startup annoy me).  Is there a file
> somewhere where it specifies what modules load?

Try to put an "#" in front of this line:

/etc/modprobe.d/aliases:alias char-major-10-175 agpgart

See if maybe hotplug or discover load the driver. Make sure your XFree
is configured to use the nvidia agp driver. See the readme that is in
the nvidia-glx package.

> In addition, I was trying to locate my sound drivers (I had it compile
> all the modules for sound and the sound worked).  Unfortunately I
> mistakenly removed it and then put it back but now when I run xmms i
> get a libmikmod.so.2 not found... Any ideas?

That has nothing to do with sound. It is a known bug that you get when
you use xmms with the nvidia driver installed. Install the libmikmod2
package.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270