Re: Will Debian grow and stay?

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 06:43:54PM -0500, Curt Howland wrote:
> didn't even get political. I said that reporters and editors tend to
> miscomprehend motivations that they do not share themselves, even
> when repeatedly informed of what those motivations are. I then cited
> a present-day example that I assumed people would understand.

Choose a more appropriate domain from which to draw your examples.

You're making it very easy for reporters (i.e., your marketing message)
to draw the conclusion that that what motivates Free Software is similar
to what motivates Bin Ladin: some sort of jihadist attack on Microsoft.
You're playing right into their hands.

Don't go around throwing sticks of dynamite and complaing when they go
off.

It's actually good you brought it up: because this kind of mixing
chocolate and peanut butter is why Linux in general meets resistance.
Linux has matured to the point where it needs to think about marketing
itself to the world.  Prevent a positive message.

If a reporter fails to understand your message, that's not his fault.
It's your fault for not presenting it correctly.