Re: shutdown won't shutdown

You can also try loading the APM module (older, but it's the first thing I load whem I'm installing).

I had this problem the first few times I installed and was going out of my mind.

jwyman wrote:
Hi. Nothing will seem to poweroff my PC. I have tried various commands, all with the same results. shutdown -h now powerdown
halt
$ su -c '/sbin/halt'
Here's what happens. Everything happens as it should, meaning, the local filesystems get unmounted, the swap gets deactivated, the network interfaces get deconfigured. In short, all the normal processes get "done". Then the screen says, Power Down, but power is still running through the PC. My mouse is still lit up, the cooling fan is still running, the monitor is still on, etc. If I was to hit ctl-alt-del, it would reboot. So what I have to do is unplug the PC which is tedious at best. I haven't the slightest clue how to fix this one. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
(using sarge, ker 2.4)

John