Re: Playing ogg files

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 06:45:16PM +0100, Wim De Smet wrote:
> You could try to switch to alsa. The most important part is disabling
> everything oss (making sure it doesn't load those modules any more).
> So if you try alsa, disable OSS. Modules are probably either loaded
> from /etc/modules or via an autodetect system (most likely discover)
> on your computer. But if this problem just "suddenly popped up" this
> will probably not fix it.

Thanks for not giving up on me :)  I appreciate all the suggestions.

Y'know, more I think, more I realize it has to be the drivers---the
machine is dual boot and we haven't had any problems on windows.

So, I should really try the oss->alsa switch.  Installing alsa seems
easy enough, but how do I make sure no oss drivers are being loaded?
How do I identify oss drivers?  Btw, I think the sound drivers are
being loaded via discover.  Here's what a discover restart shows:

jrennie@desk:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/discover restart
Password:
Detecting hardware: via-ircc via-rhine via82cxxx ide-scsi via82cxxx_audio usb-uhci ehci-hcd
via-ircc disabled in configuration.
Skipping already loaded module via-rhine.
Skipping already loaded module via82cxxx.
Skipping already loaded module ide-scsi.
Skipping already loaded module via82cxxx_audio.
Skipping already loaded module usb-uhci.
Skipping already loaded module ehci-hcd.

When I tried installing alsa the first time, apt-get decided to remove
discover1.  I reinstalled discover1 after removing alsa...

Jason