Question on PAM and limits.conf

Today I was tweaking my /etc/secrurity/limits.conf on my server.
A while back I had setup Bastille, which defaults to 100 MB
max file size for users if you enable the resource restrictions.
I decided I wanted to store some ISO images in my home directory.
Thus, I wanted to up the limit for my login and no others.

I edited limits.conf to give myself a 1.2 GB max file size.  The
only problem was that the new limit would not take.  I ended up
having to reboot my machine (after much searching for an
alternative solution) to get the new limits to take.  Why did
I have to reboot?  Did I overlook another way to get this done?

-Roberto Sanchez