Re: Playing ogg files

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:51:55 -0500, Jason Rennie <jrennie@csail.mit.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 08:11:56PM +0100, Wim De Smet wrote:
> > I think it might be more of a driver issue. Try playing some .wav's or
> > .mp3's with another program and see what that does. Do you have alsa
> > or OSS? You might have both? Check with lsmod to see what sound
> > modules are loaded.
>
> Here are (what appear to be) the relevant parts of lsmod output:
>
> via82cxxx_audio        21564   1
> ac97_codec             13300   0 [via82cxxx_audio]
> uart401                 6436   0 [via82cxxx_audio]
> sound                  57480   0 [via82cxxx_audio uart401]
> soundcore               3940   4 [via82cxxx_audio sound]
> via-rhine              13200   1
> via82cxxx              10856   1 (autoclean)

looks good.

> I've got a Via motherboard w/ built-in sound card, so it looks like
> the right drivers are being loaded.
>
> I don't have alsa installed; not sure if libsdl qualifies as "having
> oss installed":

"having oss installed" refers to having the right kernel drivers. The
rest are just packages that use OSS.

> [snip listing]
>
> I tried installing the alsa modules (alsa-modules-2.4.27-1-686), which
> triggered installation of alsa-utils and alsa-base.  After reboot,
> ogg123 had very similar behavior (repeat 1st second of song, requires -9
> to kill).
>
> I don't have any wav's or mp3's laying around, but when I open a flash
> presentation in firefox, firefox freezes and the first second of sound
> repeats over-and-over again...

Hmm than it's probably not just ogg. You probably have some wav's
though from some desktop packages (try dpkg -S *.wav). Did you check
your dmesg output and/or /var/log/syslog for errors and such,
especially when you try playing some sound?

> Are there any quirks to installing alsa?  Are there more oss packages
> that I should try to install?  Are there other sound drivers I should
> try?

You could try to switch to alsa. The most important part is disabling
everything oss (making sure it doesn't load those modules any more).
So if you try alsa, disable OSS. Modules are probably either loaded
from /etc/modules or via an autodetect system (most likely discover)
on your computer. But if this problem just "suddenly popped up" this
will probably not fix it.

I'm not sure what could have caused the problem. It could also be a
hardware problem. You might want to try out a livecd like knoppix or
something and see if you can play audio from there. If you can, most
likely something got corrupted (the kernel driver maybe, or perhaps
the device /dev/pcm, I dunno). If you can't, it's most likely a
problem with your motherboard.

HTH,
Wim