Re: Playing ogg files

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 08:11:56PM +0100, Wim De Smet wrote:
> I think it might be more of a driver issue. Try playing some .wav's or
> .mp3's with another program and see what that does. Do you have alsa
> or OSS? You might have both? Check with lsmod to see what sound
> modules are loaded.

Here are (what appear to be) the relevant parts of lsmod output:

via82cxxx_audio        21564   1
ac97_codec             13300   0 [via82cxxx_audio]
uart401                 6436   0 [via82cxxx_audio]
sound                  57480   0 [via82cxxx_audio uart401]
soundcore               3940   4 [via82cxxx_audio sound]
via-rhine              13200   1
via82cxxx              10856   1 (autoclean)

I've got a Via motherboard w/ built-in sound card, so it looks like
the right drivers are being loaded.

I don't have alsa installed; not sure if libsdl qualifies as "having
oss installed":

jrennie@desk:~$ dpkg -l "*alsa*" | grep ii
jrennie@desk:~$ dpkg -l "*oss*" | grep ii
ii  gstreamer-oss  0.6.4-5        OSS plugin for GStreamer
ii  libsdl1.2debia 1.2.7-7        Simple DirectMedia Layer (with X11 and OSS o

I tried installing the alsa modules (alsa-modules-2.4.27-1-686), which
triggered installation of alsa-utils and alsa-base.  After reboot,
ogg123 had very similar behavior (repeat 1st second of song, requires -9
to kill).

I don't have any wav's or mp3's laying around, but when I open a flash
presentation in firefox, firefox freezes and the first second of sound
repeats over-and-over again...

Are there any quirks to installing alsa?  Are there more oss packages
that I should try to install?  Are there other sound drivers I should
try?

Thanks,

Jason