Re: aptitude keeps trying to replace my vim-gtk and ftpd

Wayne Topa wrote:
Jules Dubois(3f88o9g02@sneakemail.com) is reported to have said:
On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 10:54:56 -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:
I just ran aptitude and it got "The following packages are unused and
will be REMOVED".  There are 8 packages it wants to remove, one of which
is bluefish, which I am using as I run aptitude.(?)
If you want to keep bluefish, tell aptitude you installed it "manually".

 I didn't install it manually.  I had a total system wipeout about a

AFAIK aptitude considers the package intentionally installed if you do installation using aptitude. Otherwise it will try to remove the package (if nothing else depends on it).

to fix it just hit '+' (ask aptitude to install it) when it tries to remove it. From then on it will know you want the package.

I guess the underlying problem is that apt-get doesn't differentiate between packages installed as a dependency and packages installed explicitly by user so aptitude has nothing to decide whether you installed the package.

	erik