Re: Yanking a USB Hard Drive/ReiserFS causes Kernel Panic

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 17:21 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> Cardbus is PCI hotplug, AFAIK.
>
> > The question about PCI hotplug was very honest, since PCI hotplug
> > refers to pulling PCI cards out of live systems, and that, to my
> > understanding, has nothing to do with USB (which is hotplug by
> > definition).
>
> It has little to do with USB. It has all to do with the hotplug kernel
> interface, though.

That's interesting.

  $ uname -r
  2.6.8
  $
  $
  $ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep HOT
  CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y
  # CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI is not set
  CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_JUMPSHOT=y

Note how on my system, HOTPLUG is enabled, but HOTPLUG_PCI is not.
Yet, USB hotplugging works like a charm.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"What has a tiny brain, a big mouth, and an opinion nobody cares
about? You!"
from Murphy Brown