Re: Yanking a USB Hard Drive/ReiserFS causes Kernel Panic

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 06:39:30PM -0400, Peter Hsu wrote:
> I think you missed the point.  As Ron Johnson pointed out, you need to
> use umount before you unplug the device.  If you unplug without using
> umount, then you should EXPECT your system to puke.  For practical
> purposes, you should consider time elapsed since you last wrote to the

Get off your soapbox.  There have been these things called "floppies"
for a hell of a long time and they can be yanked without the kernel
barfing.

If I mark it Sync, I can yank the damn thing.  Just look what this guy
is doing with the usbmount script.

If I yank it at the wrong time, I fully expect to lose data.  I do not
expect the kernel to panic.