Re: NFS slow/lockups

Miquel van Smoorenburg writes:
In article <[🔎] 20041013223347.GA2883@scatterbolt.r00tserverz.net>,
Tim Kelley  <tpk@r00tserverz.net> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 09:05:21PM +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
Just to show its not networking problems, I have resorted to copying
the files
via scp - even encrypted I am getting about 0.5Mb/sec

That's horrible! Is this a 10Mb network or dialup or what? Surely you
mean .5 MBytes/sec (which also isn't too hot for a 10Mbit ethernet).
Any idea whats wrong and how to improve performance?

Some basic things:
1. If you have a switch, make sure it your interfaces are at full
duplex

But do not force the switch interface to full duplex. At least on
Cisco's, if you configure the switch at full duplex (as opposed
to "auto"), then it will not negotiate full/half duplex anymore.
And since almost all Linux ethernet device drivers default to
half-duplex, you get a guaranteed duplex/half-duplex mismatch.
And .5 Mbytes/sec on a 100 mbit network is what you end up with.

Both you guys have missed my main message - the speed I was talking about was using SCP - so perhaps its also processors trying to do encrypt the message. The throughput with nfs was more like 2MB every 3 or 4 minutes - something somewhere in that setup is causing me extreme grief and I don't know what. I could really do with some pointers as to why that is not working. As far as I am concerned 05.Mbytes (thats what it was) is plenty fast enough (and its a 100mbit ethernet anyway).