Re: MediaCenter auto-login

Info Below:

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 12:16 -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 17:32 +0200, Jacobo221 wrote:
> > BTW, I'm still here, so if someone knows about a way to acomplish my
> > desire... ;-)
>
> [greg@king:~]$ apt-cache show rungetty
> Package: rungetty
> Section: admin
> Installed-Size: 76
> Maintainer: Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@debian.org>
> Architecture: i386
> Version: 1.2-8
> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4)
> Filename: pool/main/r/rungetty/rungetty_1.2-8_i386.deb
> Size: 13138
> MD5sum: b260c2af777fe3fd73fb22a648853565
>  rungetty might be the getty you were looking for.  It is able to run any
>  program, not just login. If a different program than login is used it usually
>  is run as nobody:nogroup, or the user/group specified on the commandline.
>  rungetty can even be configured to autologin, under certain circumstances.
>  See the manual page for more information.
>  .
>  You have to change some lines in /etc/inittab for having any effect after
>  installing the package.  rungetty is based on mingetty and therefore not
>  suitable for serial use.
>
> Seems somewhat reasonable. Though never having used it, seems to be
> based on what Stefan suggested earlier, but you have the ability to
> control the user and so on, which would seem for me to be able to pickup
> the environment as well.

All of a sudden I had a need for the same thing, The owner want a
"realtime" dedicated monitor of our firewall and networking and other
machines on the network.

But I didn't have a horsepower machine. So I setup a P2-400 with 256MB
of ram and using a framebuffer setup I got a 27" s-video TV to display
the rotating web-pages of our monitoring setup. I had it login as a
dedicated user first, I checked out all things made a few tweaks to
the .profile... voila.

Works just fine with a w3m-img on frame-buffer. He loves it. So I have
to finger out a few more for him to monitor production after we move.

rungetty seems to do everything I need it to do. Hopefully it will for
you.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is