Re: MediaCenter auto-login

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 04:41:37AM +0200, Jacobo221 wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm working on my computer to do a Linux MediaCenter (to play videos, DVS,
> music, maybe games, and such). Since this computer will not have internet
> nor LAN access, i'd like it to auto-login, so that by insterting a CD and
> booting up, everything is done and not a single key has to be pressed.
> How can I auto-login as a _user_ (still, not as root, since i wouldn't
> like any ap to corupt my system) in the Command Lie Interface? (the idea
> is not to use X)

I don't think the system login program can do this, but you can bypass
it.

BEFORE (excerpt of /etc/inittab):

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

AFTER:

1:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/setuid username /bin/bash --login

END:

(As always, call back if it doesn't work)

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER