Re: MediaCenter auto-login

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 14:37 +0200, Jacobo221 wrote:
> > If you use GDM as your Display Manager, it has a feature to do
> > Auto-Login.
>
> hmm... "How can I auto-login as a _user_ (still, not as root, since i wouldn't
> like any ap to corupt my system) in the Command Lie Interface? (the idea
> is not to use X)" <- so, no X ;-)
DOH!... OOPS.

> > Okay. hope this helps
>
> Not really :-( but thanks a lot for trying out with helping me :-)
>
> My plan is to avoid X wherever it is possible. Since it's a MediaCenter, i
> won't expense on it any new processor or a hard disc bigger than 1GB ;-)
> so only CLI will be there.

I see. Once again sorry.

> I hope someone comes up with the definitive solution ;)

Now that I have really thought about it, this does seem to go against
EVERYTHING I know and do for security.

It seems as though PAM authentication should do just fine for this.
Setting the user for any unknown user for "guest" media-user or
something and say that being passwordless is okay.

Those two things associated with setting the username in PAM should make
it so that anyone putting anyname in using any password that is unknown
should work. Any user that *IS* known will still work as expected. Doing
it this way should pickup the environment proper and make it so that you
can use group membership without problem.

If you can't finger out the way to do it, I could prolly be asked to
help... but I'd still like to see you try first... (mainly because I am
a busy man these days, preparing for a 1 day production outage move to a
new facility about 10 miles away).

Good luck.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net