Re: Kernel upgrade - funny startup messages

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:48:04 +1000, Robert S <robert_s@emailme.net.au> wrote:
> Andrea Vettorello wrote:
>
> >> /etc/mtab: no such file or directory
>
> Managed to fix that one by putting the /etc/mtab into /etc/mkinitrd/files
> and building another initrd.  Probably isn't actually necessary.

I think you need it, for quota or loopback mount file, don't recall
correctly. It's an automatically updated file, so you probably need
only to "touch" it (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

> > This seems strange, look if you have a "*" in your /etc/modules.conf
> > or in /etc/modutils.
>
> I'll look there.
>

> >> /etc/modules.conf is newer than /lib/modules/modules.dep
>

> > This can happen when you install a new kernel, at next boot you'll not
> > find it again.
>
> Doesn't seem to get rid of it at the initrd stage.

modules.conf and modules.dep IIRC are both created at boot time, the
first after invoking "update-modules" script, the second by "depmod",
so not related by the initrd. Check if you have the "modutils" package
installed.

> I've actually found some similar experiences in google.groups.  I don't
> think that you can avoid all of these.

You can live with them, they're not harmful, but you can remove them... =)

Andrea