Re: Kernel upgrade - funny startup messages

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 10:43:20 +1000, Robert S <robert_s@emailme.net.au> wrote:
> I've just upgraded my kernel from bf-2.4 to 2.4.18-1-686.  I'm getting a few
> funny messages on bootup:
>
> /etc/mtab: no such file or directory

mtab, IIRC is a file that is created/update by the mount command,
should register the mounted devices

> modporbe: cannot locate module *

This seems strange, look if you have a "*" in your /etc/modules.conf
or in /etc/modutils.

> /etc/modules.conf is newer than /lib/modules/modules.dep

This can happen when you install a new kernel, at next boot you'll not
find it again.

> The relevant part of my /etc/lilo.conf:
>
> image = /vmlinuz
>         label = Debian
>         root = /dev/sda1
>         initrd = /initrd.img
>         append="hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off apm=power-off"
>         read-only
>
> Can anyone explain?  I assume these are "benign".

I think all benign except the modprobe one, but not harmful, IMHO.

Andrea