Re: [solved] Re: mounting iPod with USB

on Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:52:55PM -0500, Alan Shutko insinuated:
> Nori Heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> writes:
>
> > - its filesystem type is actually hfsplus.  who knew?  (this is the
> >   latest-generation iPod, which the box says is for mac or
> >   windows, fwiw).
>
> The installation process on Windows reformats the drive to VFAT.

ok, cool.  that makes sense.

now i'm having a totally different problem, actually: after figuring
out how to mount it, i put about 500 songs on it, and then
disconnected and reconnected it a bunch for various reasons.

now, it won't mount read-write -- just read-only.  when i try to mount
it via the line in my /etc/fstab (which is

/dev/sda      /mnt/ipod     hfsplus rw,user,noauto,noatime  0 0

), /var/log/syslog gives the error:

Sep 27 16:12:48 homeruns kernel: HFS+-fs warning: Filesystem was not
cleanly unmounted, running fsck.hfsplus is recommended.  mounting
read-only.

and then it mounts it read-only, like it says.

googling for this, i found a debian-powerpc thread[1] that says that
after 32 mounts (which i probably did this morning), hfsplus
partitions will stop being mountable read-write, and to use hpmount
to get around this.  i apt-got installed the hfsplus package with
those tools in them, but trying to use hpmount gives me the following
error:

homeruns:~# hpmount /dev/sda /mnt/ipod
hpmount: /dev/sda: Neither Wrapper nor native HFS+ volume header found
(Unknown error 4294967295)

which is just wack, afaict, seeing as it was mounting happily with
`mount -t hfsplus` up until 32 mounts (and still does, just r-o).

any insight how to get around this, to make my iPod read-write again?

note: this has all been so far on my work computer, which is running
kernel 2.6.6.  i'm going to take this home and try it on my system
there, which has a 2.4.26 kernel, and see if it's any different there.

also, i'm using USB 1 here, and USB 1.1 (if that's at all different)
at home.  slow as molasses.

thanks again,

</nori>

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2004/08/msg00324.html

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++