Re: [solved] Re: mounting iPod with USB

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 11:37:46PM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:

> now i'm having a totally different problem, actually: after figuring
> out how to mount it, i put about 500 songs on it, and then
> disconnected and reconnected it a bunch for various reasons.
If you don't unmount the filesystem before unplugging the device, the
kernel will get mad at you, and you'll probably need to fsck.hfsplus it.

> now, it won't mount read-write -- just read-only.  when i try to mount
> it via the line in my /etc/fstab (which is
>
> /dev/sda      /mnt/ipod     hfsplus rw,user,noauto,noatime  0 0
>
> ), /var/log/syslog gives the error:
>
> Sep 27 16:12:48 homeruns kernel: HFS+-fs warning: Filesystem was not
> cleanly unmounted, running fsck.hfsplus is recommended.  mounting
> read-only.

That means either your system crashed while it was mounted, or it was
unplugged w/o unmounting. Running fsck.hfsplus is recommended by me as
well.

> any insight how to get around this, to make my iPod read-write again?
fsck it

DISCLAIMER:
  I don't own a mac, I don't own an iPod, I have no experience with
  HFS+.  I do have experience with ext2 though, including stuff that
  isn't fs specific.

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER