VIA sound problem

I have the following problem:
I'm running kernel 2.6.8.
After installing, configuring and compiling the kernel everything works fine except sound.
I got a vie-onboard card and it worked perfectly in
Here's the lspci output:
0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)

Alsa recognizes the soundcard, after doing a "modprobe via82cxxx_audio" I can play sound as root. The problem is that I can only use mplayer to play sound, and mplayer hangs after playing the file for several seconds (it also hangs when quitting the application while playing)
If I use xine then it plays the video part put the sound hangs.
What's wrong? I don't get it.
Is there a known problem with that driver?

CU
Jochen