Re: VIA sound problem

I had problems too. The kernel kept loading the oss modules, which meant that
the alsa ones didn't work. I took advice from somewhere on the net, which
said the way to stop it was to edit /etc/discover.conf and put a line

skip via82xxx_audio

which means it will never use that module. Then alsaconf was able to insert
the correct ALSA modules and all worked ok....

The other weird thing to watch out for is that PCM volume control doesn't
exist - it's on or off. And on mine, the only volume control which does
anything is one called VXD1 or DXsomething1 anyway, it's the first one with
an X in the name (sorry, it's on my home machine!).

HTH
rich