From: Steven Jones
Sent: Wednesday, 22 September 2004 1:00 p.m.
To: Debian Users
Subject: RE: How to start NTPD?

cd /etc/apt/sources.list

regards

Steven

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Liu [mailto:satimis@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 22 September 2004 12:59 p.m.
To: Debian Users

Hi Steven,

Tks for your advice.

> run this, apt-get update ; apt-get -y dist-upgrade
>
> and hold on to your hat while the box patches itself
> (assuming you have a WAN connection in place and
> sources.list is correct)

This workstation is connected to a 3MB broadband.
Could you please advise where to lookup the
sourc.list?  I have been away from Debian for
sometimes.

# find / -name source.list
No printout

# ls /etc/init.d/
nfs-common
ntp-simple

# cat /etc/ntp.conf
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/

statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

server ntp.cuhk.edu.hk
server ntp.debian.org
server pool.ntp.org
server stdtime.gov.hk

> afterwards,
>
> apt-get install ntp
>
> Should either install ntp or say the latest is
> installed.
>
> For a client you run crontab -e to add a similar
> line that I supplied,

Which line in your previous posting?  Tks

> you then do a :wq to exit and
> the cron job will run at the time specified.
>
> If ntpq says "connection refused" then it doesnt
> look like ntp is running.

Noted with tks.

B.R.
Stephen