Re: "modconf" sees no modules at all in recompiled kernel

On Sunday 12 September 2004 20:00, Eric Dickner wrote:
> I have two kernels running, one 2.2.20 installed from
> purchased disks and one 2.4.27 that was created by
> recompiling the "old fashioned" way, ie not by a
> debian package but from the sources that came from
> kernel.org.

Be aware that precompiled Debian kernels have patches applied.  As a matter
of fact, 2.4.18 is available for Woody (which it seems you have, since you
mention 2.2.20).  Depending on your needs, 2.4.18 may be suitable.

> The problem is this: running the old linux there are a
> few modules installed that make the cdrom work
> properly and the floppy work.  There are many modules
> available from the "modconf" program that are not
> loaded.
>
> In the new kernel, none of that is there; no modules
> are loaded and the only one that "modconf" can see is
> a "dummy" one in the net directory.  Can I simply copy
> the contents of /lib/modules/'uname -r'/ over?  Can it
> be that simple?  I am afraid to do that thinking that
> things will become unstable if I "force" things upon
> the new kernel that way.

There's a very good reason that there are plenty of modules available for
the precompiled kernel: hardware compatibility.  Anyway, if you didn't
specify (when you configured the kernel) to build any drivers as a module,
you won't see any when you use modconf.

No, you cannot simply copy the contents of /lib/modules/`uname -r` over.
You need to recompile your kernel, and build the modules.

Incidentally, if you didn't build your kernel the Debian way, did you
specifically make the modules?  If you didn't, you won't have modules to
load, even if you specified them in the config.

Justin Guerin