RE: Re: "modconf" sees no modules at all in recompiled kernel

<snip>----------------------
Incidentally, if you didn't build your kernel the
Debian way, did you
specifically make the modules?  If you didn't, you
won't have modules
load, even if you specified them in the config.

Justin Guerin
--------------------------------

No, I didn't.  I just followed the instructions that I
found for recompiling kernels. They didn't mention
anything about all this. I assumed that the things
that worked and had been configured under the old
kernel would be there for the new one.  In a lot of
cases this is true, but not for the drivers and
modules(!)?

I guess then, my question is, how do I go about
rebuilding the drivers?  Do I run "debconf" again or
something?  It is important to me that I use the
generic kernel recompile for administrative reasons;
if getting the debian distribution upgrade package is
the only way to upgrade in debian then I need to know
that.

I just thought there would be a way to do it that is
"distribution agnostic".

ejd