"modconf" sees no modules at all in recompiled kernel

I have two kernels running, one 2.2.20 installed from
purchased disks and one 2.4.27 that was created by
recompiling the "old fashioned" way, ie not by a
debian package but from the sources that came from
kernel.org.

The problem is this: running the old linux there are a
few modules installed that make the cdrom work
properly and the floppy work.  There are many modules
available from the "modconf" program that are not
loaded.

In the new kernel, none of that is there; no modules
are loaded and the only one that "modconf" can see is
a "dummy" one in the net directory.  Can I simply copy
the contents of /lib/modules/'uname -r'/ over?  Can it
be that simple?  I am afraid to do that thinking that
things will become unstable if I "force" things upon
the new kernel that way.