Re: Also works on 2.6 kernels [was Re: Well documented]

Guest, Simon wrote:
On Tuesday 24 Aug 2004 19:05, tallison@tacocat.net wrote:

Install these Debian packages :-
nvidia-glx                      - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x driver
nvidia-kernel-common            - NVIDIA binary kernel module common
files nvidia-kernel-source	- NVIDIA binary kernel module source

Then carefully follow the instructions
in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-source/README.Debian

This would probably work very well and it certainly looked well designed.
However, it tends to only work for the 2.4 kernel and I'm working with the
2.6 kernel.
I repeatedly was asked to pull in 2.4.x based on dependencies.

The Debian package way works just fine with 2.6 kernels. It's worked for me on three separate machines, all running a 2.6.5 kernel.

(Perhaps you tried it before it was made to work nicely with 2.6?)

cheers,
Simon

I started trying all this out last week, well into the "plays well with others" era.

It's possible that my problem was more extensive than what you are experiencing. I was not installing a minimum set of nvidia related packages, rather I was allowing aptitude to make suggestions and taking some of those suggested packages as well.

I believe that it was those suggested packages that were pulling in the 2.4. kernel as a dependency over and above the 2.6 kernel.

I'm not certain about any of this, but right now I'm running well with 2.6.7 and nvidia drivers from their website. When I look into upgrading my kernel again (which isn't really often) I'll very likely look for a more automated fashion.

My experience with Nvidia and SuSE was such that kernel upgrades frequently broke X-windows, but 3 minutes re-running the NVidia script broght things back in line. It wasn't favorable, but it wasn't impossible either.

Simon:
If you want to remove duplications from email lists and CC's (I have this a LOT) then you might consider putting this into your procmail rules (assuming you have procmail)

# remove duplicate emails
:0 Wh: msgid.lock
| formail -D 2048 msgid.cache

The number, 2048 can be modified to suit. I think the procmail manpages use 8K or something like that but I haven't needed anything that big.