Well documented [was Re: nvidia drivers]

On Tuesday 24 Aug 2004 00:17, Tom Allison wrote:

> I was able to install by doing:
> apt-get kernel-headers...
> and then running the NVIDIA package they provide on their website.
>
> I don't know, but the kernel-source may be necessary, but I doubt it.  I
> have it installed, that's why I mention it.

It's all well documented what you have to do.  Once you realise that the best
documentation for knowing how to use packages in Debian is often to be found
in /usr/share/doc/<package-name>, everything becomes straightforward.
(Thanks to those fine chaps, the Debian developers, for their excellent
READMEs.)

Install these Debian packages :-
nvidia-glx                      - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x driver
nvidia-kernel-common            - NVIDIA binary kernel module common files
nvidia-kernel-source	- NVIDIA binary kernel module source

Then carefully follow the instructions
in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-source/README.Debian

cheers,
Simon

PS: If you do this, you don't need anything from the NVidia web site.