Re: security updates

on Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:22:28AM +0200, Florian Ernst insinuated:
> Hello!
>
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 02:30:50PM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> > okay, i get it!  i didn't understand how this would help until i
> > tried it -- what i had been not getting was that apt-get
> > installing a package that i already had installed would upgrade it
> > if it needed to be upgraded.  i don't think the manpage makes this
> > clear at all --
>
> Hmm, somehow this was always clear to me - but I agree, this wasn't
> due to this manual page. :)
>
> > does anyone else agree this is misleading?  if yes, i'll file a
> > bug, or i'll just update the manpage and submit it as a patch or
> > something (hmm, not quite sure how i would go about this).
>
> If you want it to get clarified as soon as possible do both: file a
> bug and provide a patch attached to your bugreport.

great, i want to do this.  thanks for your help.

my patch is below -- what do you think?

     <varlistentry><term>install</term>
     more packages desired for installation or upgrading.
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                            [that bit i added]

also, i added this paragraph between the "Both ... care" and "Finally
...  packages" paragraphs:

     <para>This is also the target to use if you want to upgrade a one
     or more already-installed packages without upgrading every
     package you have on your system.  Unlike the "upgrade" target,
     which installs the newest version of all currently installed
     packages, "install" will install the newest version of only the
     packages specified.  Simply provide the name of the package you
     wish to upgrade, and if a newer version is available, it (and its
     dependencies, as described above) will be downloaded and
     installed.</para>

> This manual page is generated during build from a XML source, so best
> download the source package, unpack it, copy it to something like
> apt.orig and start editing the XML file(s). Once you have verified the
> changed version still builds

how do i do this?  a bit of googling and manpaging suggested trying
"dpkg --build apt-0.5.27.patch", but i get this error message:

dpkg-deb: failed to open package info file
`apt-0.5.27.patch/DEBIAN/control' for reading: No such file or
directory

it looks like the directory is called
"apt-0.5.27.patch/debian/control", with a lower-case "DEBIAN".  is
this the way you had in mind when you said to make sure the package
still builds?

> you can create a patch (using diff)

will i be diffing debs, then?  the one that dpkg --build creates and
the one that "apt-get install apt" would download?  not sure how this
would work, as all i know to use "diff" to do is to diff individual
files.

> and sent it in easily using reportbug.

okay, _that_ i know how do to.  :)

> > > Painful... yes. Doable, yes but reliable. And then "apt-get
> > > clean" after every install command.
> >
> > okay, sure.  this is to keep the amount of space in /var down,
> > yes?
>
> Yes. You might want to explore the different settings as outlined in
> /usr/share/doc/apt/examples/configure-index.gz, especially the
> "Clean" stuff.

great; thanks!

thanks again for your help.

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++