Re: security updates

Hello!

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 02:30:50PM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> okay, i get it!  i didn't understand how this would help until i tried
> it -- what i had been not getting was that apt-get installing a
> package that i already had installed would upgrade it if it needed to
> be upgraded.  i don't think the manpage makes this clear at all --

Hmm, somehow this was always clear to me - but I agree, this wasn't
due to this manual page. :)

> does anyone else agree this is misleading?  if yes, i'll file a bug,
> or i'll just update the manpage and submit it as a patch or something
> (hmm, not quite sure how i would go about this).

If you want it to get clarified as soon as possible do both: file a
bug and provide a patch attached to your bugreport.

This manual page is generated during build from a XML source, so best
download the source package, unpack it, copy it to something like
apt.orig and start editing the XML file(s). Once you have verified the
changed version still builds you can create a patch (using diff) and
sent it in easily using reportbug.

> > Painful... yes. Doable, yes but reliable. And then "apt-get clean" after
> > every install command.
>
> okay, sure.  this is to keep the amount of space in /var down, yes?

Yes. You might want to explore the different settings as outlined in
/usr/share/doc/apt/examples/configure-index.gz, especially the "Clean"
stuff.

HTH,
Flo

PS: Dropping Greg from Mail-Followup-To, hope this is OK...