Re: Rant about installer features (Re: Progeny)

On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 12:47 -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 10:18:14AM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
>
> > As far as Knoppix. I use it for hardware detection and to make sure
> > machine are able to handle it proper, for those odd pieces that aren't
> > quite able to be used by linux yet... or never will be (some Video cards
> > for instance... FB doesn't work either...)
>
> But here's my question:  Knoppix is GPL, isn't it?  If so, why not just
> cut-and-paste its hardware detection into d-i?

Knoppix does some probes that might cause an "Iffy" machine to Freeze
during probing. That is why there are SOOO many nofuzzer-nutter type
switches to start Knoppix with.

Need I remind you of:

ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt

If Knoppix is so bulletproof in hardware detection, why then so many
switches to make things work? Yes, I know some are for persistent homes
and special cases... but still, why so many entries like:

no{apic,agp,apm,audio,ddc,dhcp,fstab,firewire,pcmcia,scsi,swap,usb}

or even the expert modes.

No, I love Knoppix, have even written up Wonderful instructions to
install Knoppix before it was installable with a script. I have used it
to do chroot installs of 5 different Distros. Even though *I* know what
to do with those switches (I hate to admit that I have used most of them
in one case or another) how can you expect a regular user to work around
the hardware issues they have?

Knoppix is a real Hack! True Genuine piece of beautiful work.
Brilliantly done. But have you ever tried to maintain Knoppix using apt-
get with traditional sources? It isn't fun for the new Debian user... or
even the veteran users.

Sure, I'd love to see Klaus' Hardware Detection just plain work with the
new d-i, but I have to believe Joey *HAS* looked at it and decided it
was a bit to wild (or incompatible) for d-i, at least to be used on the
11 architectures it needs to run on.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is