Rant about installer features (Re: Progeny)

John Summerfield wrote:
> Paul Gear wrote:
>
>> michael.sherman@og.ge.com wrote:
>>

>>> Is anyone here using Progeny?
>>
>> I tried it as an easy way of getting Sarge installed.  It looks pretty
>> good, but it didn't detect my SATA drives for some reason, and the GUI
>> hung when it found some config files that were modified and VC4 started
>> asking about them.  It looks like a good possibility for us Red Hat
>> refugees, though.
>>

> Indeed.
> Just for laughs, how does FC go on that box?

Nothing to laugh about - it just works.  Perfectly, straight out of the
box.  No mucking about, just create the partitions i want (RAID 1 on
everything: /, /boot, and swap) and install.  So does SuSE Personal 9.1.

(Rant begins here)

I'm finding this mailing list a little hard to cope with.  Some people
on it think they know everything about Linux because they've been using
Debian for 3 years.  I've been using Linux for 10 years, but because i
didn't use Debian from the beginning, i get treated like a newbie who
doesn't understand what RAID is and obviously needs to "go back to
Windows" since i don't think Debian's features are up to scratch and i
think GUI installers are easier to use.  For crying out loud, the last
version of Windows that was the main OS on my PC was *Win95*, 9 years ago!

When are you people (not you, John) going to realise that it's not just
Windoze lusers that expect things to just work?  That's the main reason
i used Red Hat for so many years (from Red Hat Linux 4.2 through Fedora
Core 1).

The reason i'm trying to change over to Debian is because of Red Hat's
new(-ish) model of only providing experimental distributions for free
and charging more than Sun & Microsoft for their stable distributions.
The release churn is too great on Fedora.  (Of course, apt-get is a
great feature, but Fedora is coming close now, with apt and yum.)

Sorry for the venting, but i imagine i'm not alone - there are plenty of
Red Hat refugees around, and i was almost sold on Debian before i even
installed it.  You can make some significant new converts by just taking
our concerns seriously.

--
Paul
<http://paulgear.webhop.net>